Home-based business owners are increasing every year. They are CEOs, presidents, the board-of-directors, simply put, “the boss” of their businesses all-in-one. Unlike employers of other companies, every action they take affects their business in particular, the bottom line or ROI. That includes investment of time, money, family responsibility and business sustainability, which includes financing, budget, marketing, advertising, customer relationship and suppliers; maintaining production of services and products and keeping accurate records.
Running a home-based business can become overwhelming, and many aspiring business owners go out of business in less than a year. Does the prospect of working from home sound too good to be true? Well, it shouldn’t. Almost everyone can restructure or change their working life so that they can work at home, either full or part time, for employer, freelancer, affiliate, or independent.
This major life change may take patience, creativity, and a little sacrifice, but before long, you could be commuting from the kitchen to your office, a cup of coffee in your hand and the sun shining through your window.
What considerations or profile is needed to start a home-based business:
- Description of the business – describe activities involved in conducting the business task
- Start up costs and financing sources – estimates what it will cost to get a business going and suggests financing options
- Marketing and advertising methods – the degree of success you enjoy in business is directly related to your ability to continually attract new customers and keep existing customers
- Essential equipment – list the basic materials you need to start and run your business, such as computers, internet service, printers, ergonomic furniture, etc.
- Skills, training and experience needed – describe the knowledge or background needed, experience and skills you may possess for the business and those skills you need to acquire
- Type of business – lists whether it’s an in-home or out of home (meaning you have a home office, you work away from home) business.
People work from their homes for many reasons: unemployment, low salary, high cost of day care, difficulty finding a job, both spouses work to maintain a medium standard of living, single mom, no control over work schedule, etc.
Make a plan; it’s your key for success to achieve your goal. Your road to success requires planning. You must make plans, think about them, and act on them. Action is essential to success as a motor and fuel are to an automobile. A major purpose well-stated is half-achieved, restate your major purpose in the progressive tense, action seals the habit of succeeding and eliminates:
- Inability to concentrate on what is important
- Loss of faith in yourself
- Clinging to the status quo
- Lack of organization
- Stagnant mind set – custom is king (though it shouldn’t be)
- Failure to evaluate yourself
The ultimate formula for home businesses or any business to succeed is really quite simple. What is that? A marketing system for autopilot lead generation ensures long-term success. Here are six reasons why:
- Generate quality leads consistently and economically
- Convert as many of those leads as possible into sales
- Ensure that you delight your customers so they’ll be pre-disposed to buy from you again and recommend your business to others
- Repeatedly sell refills, replacements and other products to your family of existing customers
- Ask customers to refer you to others who may want the same benefits
- Keep going back to step #1 and repeat the pattern again
Though a home-based business may lead to a more hectic home life, home-based businesses have the important element of flexibility not usually found in a 9-5 job. Home-based business owners can tailor businesses to fit the needs of customers as well as their family needs. Truth is, many home-based businesses are mobile in recreational vehicle offices on the scenic routes making hundreds, thousands, and millions of dollars a year. They have the freedom to work in their offices at any hour; run their businesses according to their philosophies; and pursue any opportunity or destination they prefer. A Chinese proverb says, “Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.” But in what direction? Plan your direction.
When the goal is clear, the purpose is strong; the steps will be decisive, assertive and forceful. Direction and determination decide destiny. Before you open for business or begin to advertise, check with your local authorities about having a home business, your state regulations and licensing requirements. Your regional Small Business Development Center (SBDC) will also have information about your state’s business regulations.
Your key for personal success is persistence because persistence produces results. You can be a successful home-based business entrepreneur.
Related US: Is It Time to Embrace Missile Defense?( Under Secretary of Defense for Policy John Rood discusses the 2019 Missile Defense Review)